This is definitely the most comprehensive list of questions you will need when researching colleges. Whether it be for a visit or if you’re attending college fair, use this list of questions to ask any college representative you speak to.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN…
Think about the type of college/university you are looking for. Obviously they’re not the same so you will need to consider many things in the kind of school you want to attend. Consider this list of all to consider when choosing a college to visit.
You should have three choices. But check out my recent post on the types of colleges that are out there. But don’t forget these important things:
- Number of other students
- close to home, or far away?
- Out of state or not? (remember out of state fees)
- Initial cost to attend (you won’t know exactly until you ask…(read below))
Questions to ask:
- Collect catalog/application
- What are the requirements for admission?
- What test score requirements are there to get in? ( YES / NO
- What degrees do you offer for my chosen career(s)?
- What is the most popular major?
- What is the application deadline for admission?
- If I decided to apply what do you think is the best way for me to get in?
- Can I visit the campus anytime, or schedule appointment? When?
- Will you take certain credits that I already earned?
- How long does it take after submitting application?
- Is there an orientation day/open house that I can attend? Dates:
- Is there anything else I should know about your school that would help me make my decision?
- What is the total cost to attend your school? (This includes everything: tuition, room and board, fees, books, other living expenses and all fees associated with the cost of attending the school)
- Will I have assistance in filling out FAFSA?
- What is the financing process once I’m accepted?
- Are there grants/scholarships offered at your school?
- What is the financial aid deadline?
Estimate what you (parents too) are contributing to college costs, and then estimate the difference needed to finance college
- What is the average class size and teacher/student ratio?
- How accessible are professors outside class time?
- What types of teachers teach my courses?
- What types of services are available like tutoring, workshops, counseling?
- Do you offer housing? What kind
- Is that included in the cost?
- Do I need a computer? Are there computer labs available?
- What types of athletic programs/Intramural sports does your school have?
- Name some student activities that occur at the school? (i.e. programming, Greek life, department organizations, etc.)
- Is there an orientation program for new students?
- What other special services are offered to students
Your Success is My Success,
I’m a careers and college recruiter, coach, mentor and blogger at The Career Closet. His passion is to educate, inspire, and give hope to young people who need it upon their search for the right career and college
Follow my Tweets and join me on Facebook!
The Career Closet is a website, blog and career coaching program that helps you to focus in on your own interests, talents and personalities to match you up to the best careers available to you. We also provide the latest and greatest with regard to college information, financial aid, scholarship search sites and scholarships available. This program is free by visiting www.thecareercloset.com. If you have any question about choosing a career or going to college, you will get the answer from me