Well, it’s that time of year. For those of you who have already done this you know it’s time to get together your financial info. to fill out the next round of the financial aid application. Most of you that have done this, it’s easy. Just log onto the website, enter your pin and most of the same information will already be there from previously. You may just have to enter updated tax and financial information.

For those of you just starting out, this may seem like a daunting tasks, but it is not. They have made the financial aid process so much easier for you that it takes a short amount of time with not much effort. But the key is to be prepared. So below is a list of what you need before beginning the process. Most of this information you can find at the FAFSA website when you apply….but here you go!

The Career Closet is always looking out for you!! Take a look at everything you need to be prepared for the financial aid process. The school you are looking at can help you as well.

I also found the .pdf file of the deadline dates for the 2012-2013 school year. If you are a Senior in high school, and planning to attend next fall, you need to file your financial aid as soon as possible. Most states and federal funding for college works on a first come first served basis, so be diligent! Check out the Deadline Dates for FAFSA 2012/13 school year
You will need records of income earned in the year prior to when you will start school. You may also need records of your parents’ income information if you are a dependent student.

For the 2012-2013 school year you will need financial information from 2011. You may need to refer to:

  • Your Social Security card. It is important that you enter your Social Security Number correctly!
  • Your driver’s license (if any)
  • Your 2011 W-2 forms and other records of money earned
  • Your (and if married, your spouse’s) 2011 Federal Income Tax Return.
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
    • Foreign Tax Return, or
    • Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Your Parents’ 2011 Federal Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
  • Your 2011 untaxed income records
  • Your current bank statements
  • Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
  • Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen) is a great place to direct you accordingly. Be sure to keep ALL records! Don’t throw anything away and be sure to meet all deadline dates. One day could mean thousands of dollars.

Your Success is My Success,

Keith Lipke

I’m a careers and college recruiter, coach, public speaker and leader at The Career Closet. His passion is to educate, inspire, and give hope to young people who need it upon their search for the right career and college

Follow my Tweets and join me on Facebook!


Comments are closed.